Monday, March 12, 2012

Kira's Rainbow Birthday Party

Saturday marked the 3rd birthday party for my lovely, talented, sassy, silly niece Kira! She is a little spitfire and always makes everyone laugh. We celebrated her big day with all things rainbow.

First, a few pictures of the birthday girl! I made her tutu and hairbow and bought her sweet leg warmers here--they were $7.50 when I got them and they were so worth it! They looked perfect!



And some sweet rainbow decorations...most via pinterest! Check out my inspiration board for the original sources and many other fabulous ideas.



The ceiling treatment was hard to get a good picture of but we draped plastic tablecloths from the ceiling fan in the center of the room out as far as they would go, then left a little extra hang down for the effect of a tent.

And the cake...oh the cake!



Isn't it fabulous!?! I spent last weekend making and freezing 6 layers of cake, 3 in an 8 inch square pan and the bottom  in a 10 inch sqaure. I used Wilton gel coloring to get these great colors. I used a super yummy buttercream for the filling and then to put a good layer on the outside before covering it in fondant. The fondant wasn't perfect (especially the spot I stuck my finger in) but it looked decent and no one judged me too harshly! :)

I also made the decorations for the cake, but I used gum paste for them. My lovely hubby helped me mix up all of the great colors and I cut the stars with a cookie cutter (easier and quicker than using my Cricut Cake) but I cut Kira's name and the #3 using Birthday Cakes. I also shaped the rest of the gumpaste into a sweet rainbow for the top and used marshmallows as the clouds!

My niece kept yelling "Aunt Manda! Aunt Manda! Dis is the best cake you have EVER made!"


Fill up the cake table with rainbow candy, rainbow sugar cookies and birthday cake popcorn and you have a sugar high worthy of a 3 year with a major sweet tooth--Kira!

Isn't that cookie so cool!?! Again, the amazing hubs helped with those and I got inspiration from Pinterest.

The birthday was a success! My niece was over the moon about everything, I took care of the cake, yummy goodies and outfit, my mom and sisters worked on the food and decorations and my hubs helped with cake duty at home and cuddling my nephew so we could work!

Yup, that's the face of 2 very pleased rainbow girls!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment