Tuesday, July 3, 2012

3/4 Sleeve Tunic Top

75 hours without power...I greatly appreciate being able to cook dinner, drink a cold beverage, take a hot shower and sleep in a/c. It was hot, it was boring and I had to through away so much food. Very depressing. I literally have 3 bottles of hot sauce, mustard, a half of a bottle of sangria and 2 Smirnoffs left in my refrigerator. Wow.

But it's back and live can resume to normal.

I made this adorable little shirt for my niece a few months ago but I was too chicken to try to make a button hole. Last week before the power went out, I was working on another top and decided it was time to finish this one!
I love how it turned out. I love the retro-inspired fabric and the shape of the shirt. I tried it on her once when she was here and it will look so adorable with leggings.

The original pattern from the One Yard Wonders book has these giant bell sleeves--I didn't really like them and I didn't really have enough fabric for them anyway. Apparently some of the "one yards" are 60 inch and some of 44 inch wide and I didn't look before I started and  I was supposed to use a bigger width. So I modified.
 
I cut a straighter sleeve. Well then I thought it just looked a little unfinished. So I hacked it off to 3/4--my personal favorite sleeve length! Then I wasn't crazy about the plain hemmed sleeved, so I folded it a few times and then put on a faux tab. It doesn't come undone but it looks cute! I struggle with seeing the inside of the fabric and I think it looks okay. Maybe if I make it again, I'll put in some cute contrast lining fabric.

Now for the button holes...
I originally wanted to put one big button on the front, but it would have been a faux button because I apparently used too big of a seam allowance on the tab part. And when I tried it on my niece, she wounldn't have been able to get it over her head without the button being functional. So I used 2 smaller buttons, read about making a button hole, practiced once and just went for it! I think they turned out really good and I like the look of the white button with the pink thread.


You may have noticed that under the buttons, there is an opening. This is the "O Tunic" from the book and it calls for that opening. I don't know how I feel about it. Yes, she is only a little girl and has no boobs--but should I be promoting that kind of outfit? Hmmm, I don't know. Wonder what my sister will think?

Welll she needed a matching hair bow. Duh.
I made a cute flower and attached it to a wrapped headband. I haven't seen her wear a headband like this one and she refused to put it on her head last time so hopefully she will wear it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment